Ryan focuses his practice on representing individuals in divorce, collaborative divorce, custody, adoption, guardianship and support matters. His practice also includes drafting and negotiating premarital agreements, and with other attorneys at Coots, Henke and Wheeler, assisting clients in preserving their business interests and investments, pre and post-divorce. Ryan has significant experience with appeals and has argued before the Indiana Supreme Court.
In addition to traditional family law representation, Ryan offers alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and collaborative divorce. He serves as collaborative divorce counsel and is a member of the Central Indiana Association of Collaborative Professionals (“CIACP”). Ryan is a registered family law mediator, and on the executive committee of the alternative dispute resolution section of the Indianapolis Bar Association. Ryan has been chosen by attorneys and appointed by judges to serve as a guardian ad litem to represent the best interests of children.
Although most family law cases resolve through informal settlement or mediation, when a case must be tried, Ryan is able and eager to do so and enjoys being in the courtroom.
Ryan is a leader in the family law community. In 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, he was named an Indiana SuperLawyer "Rising Star," after being nominated and selected by his attorney peers within the legal community. The "Rising Star" recognition is awarded to the top attorneys in Indiana under the age of 40, and no more than 2.5% of eligible lawyers are selected to the list. In 2009 Ryan was named president of the Family Law Section of the Hamilton County Bar Association. Ryan has been a guest speaker on WIBC to discuss legal issues concerning divorce and family law.
Since 2009 Ryan has authored the Indiana divorce and family law blog, "All Things Family Law-Indiana Divorce and Family Law Blog". Follow Ryan's family law related updates via Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter.
In addition to his commitments to the legal community, Ryan serves on the board of directors of Ed. Services Co., LLC and is a coach with the Carmel Dad’s Club. Away from the office, he enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and cycling.
- Collaborative Divorce Training, 2011
- Certified Domestic Relations Mediator, 2010
- Certified Family Law Specialist, by the Certification Board of the Indiana State Bar Association, 2011
- Bar Admissions:
- Indiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2002
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana,
- Indiana University,
- Representative Cases:
- M.C.-G. v. M.G. ((Ind. Ct. App.) 2012)
- C.F. v. M.R. ((Ind. Ct. App.) 2012)
- In Re Adoption of D.C. ((Ind. Ct. App.) 2010)
- Phillips v. Delks ((Ind. Ct. App.) 2008)
- Travelers Cas. and Sur. Co. v. U.S. Filter Corp. ((Ind. Ct. App.) 2007)
- Baber v. State ((Ind) 2006)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- New Child Support Statute & New Parenting Time Guidelines, ICLEF , Annual Family Law Institute, 2012
- Family Law Society, Overview of Family Law, Indiana University School of Law at Indianapolis, 2012
- Elder Law, Guardianship and Divorce, ICLEF, Annual Family Law Institute, 2011
- E-Discovery and Related Topics,NBI, 2010
- Electronic Discovery in Family Law, ICLEF, Annual Family Law Institute, 2009
- Child Support Guideline Update, Hamilton County Bar Association, 2009
- Depositions and Discovery in Family Law, IBA, 2008
- Use of Private Investigators in Family Law, IAPI, 2007
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Section
- Executive Committee
- Hamilton County Bar Association
- Public Service Committee Member
- Boone County Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Board of Governor’s Delegate
- Past Employment Positions:
- Educational Services Co., LLC, Board of Director, 2004
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Attorney Volunteer
- Hamilton County Guardian Ad Litem Program, Volunteer
- Appointed Cases - Hamilton County Courts
- Presenter, Indiana Healthy Families