Matthew L. Hinkle
Matthew L. Hinkle is a partner with the firm and concentrates his practice in litigation in both federal and state courts. His litigation practice involves the representation of clients in diverse areas of law including premises and general tort liability, motor vehicle accidents, labor and employment, civil rights, governmental defense, police liability, trucking accidents, real estate, and zoning disputes. He has defended numerous businesses, governmental entities, and their employees, including police officers confronting false arrest and excessive force claims, police action shootings, police pursuits, and jail condition claims.
Matt has handled numerous labor and employment disputes, EPLI claims, including complex Title VII actions. The subject matter of these proceedings has included sexual harassment, race discrimination, ADA, FMLA, wrongful discharge, retaliation claims, wage and hour violations, covenants not to compete, and trade secrets.
Matt has argued cases before the Indiana Supreme Court and Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Matt has lectured on a variety of litigation topics involving federal and state laws.
Matt is primarily a defense attorney, but in the past has selectively handled personal injury and employment cases for individual clients. Since Matt is also a certified mediator his experience handling cases for clients on both sides of litigated claims provides him with a unique perspective that benefits all parties involved in alternative dispute resolution.
- Kincade v. MAC Corporation, 773 N.E. 2nd 909 (Ind. Ct. App. 2002); premises liability negligence
- City of Crown Point v. Misty Woods Properties, LLC, 864 N.E.2d1069 (Ind. Ct. App. 2007); zoning
- Marion v. City of Corydon, 559 F.3d 700 (7th Cir. 2009); pursuit and police action shooting
- Kroger Co. v. Plonski, 930 N.E.2d 1 (Ind. 2010); third party criminal act premises liability
- Walsh v. City of Valparaiso, 921 N.E.2d 56 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010); combined sewer backup
- Robert v. Sheriff Carter, 819 F.Supp2d 832 (S.D. Ind. 2011); ADA - termination
- Estate of Wojcik v. Michigan City, 2012 WL 426584 (N.D. Ind. Feb 9, 2012); police pursuit ending in fatality
Presentation on Indiana Tort Claims Act and public entity laws in Indiana - Insurance update (2006).
Federal Abstention - Continuing Legal Education Seminar (2006).
Discretionary immunity under the Indiana Tort Claims Act - Continuing Legal Education Seminar (2007).
42 U.S.C. 1983 and Police Pursuit after Scott v. Harris - Continuing Legal Education Seminar (2008).
American with Disabilities Act- Amendment. Continuing Legal Education Seminar. Update following 2009 Amendments Act (2009).
Indiana Law Survey (2009).
ADA Training Program (2013).
Presentation on Indiana Tort Claims Act and public entity laws in Indiana - Insurance education credits (2014).
Indiana Case Law Update - Continuing Legal Education Seminar (2014).
Workplace Discrimination & Sexual Harassment Program for Supervisor and Managers (2005-2014).
Legal Update - Lack of Insurance Will Cost You More: Forfeiting Damages Under Indiana's No Pay No Play Law (June 26, 2015).
Areas of Emphasis
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Indianapolis, Indiana (J.D. Summa Cum Laude 1996)
Indiana University (B.A., 1993)
Bars & Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Awards & Recognition
- Indiana Super Lawyers® (2010-present)
- F. Emerson Boyd Trial Advocate Award
- Certified Civil Mediator, Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association
- Knights of Columbus
- Sertoma Club